Start a new topic
Solved

Unstable / not working connection with external GPS equipment

Dear Forum members,

Today we did some tests using external GPS equipment to measure polygons with LocusGIS. We used Trimble R2 and Emlid Reach (RTK) equipment. Via the LocusGIS Bluetooth manager, connections were made with the GPS’s.

At first instance, measurements using the Trimble R2 succeeded well, but is was remarkable that the LocusGIS GPS screen did not show any satellites. It seemed that the LocusGIS Bluetooth connection with external GPS was faltering from on to off. The connection between the Android device (smartphone) and the external GPS seemed to be fine.

After the first measurements we were not able to establish a stabile connection anymore. Probably it has something to do with the LocusGIS parameters?  although they look pretty straightforward to me.

Does anybody have experience using external GPS equipment and is there maybe a step to step approach to eliminate possible incorrect settings?

Thanks in advance,

Martinus Vranken

1 person has this problem

Thank You for the useful information. 

Thank you for the specification of the device model. However, are you really sure if this device can be connected as an external GPS antenna? I can't find any information that this device can be used as an External GPS. 

Bluetooth functionality is available (presumably) for sharing sensor data, but not for sharing GPS location. Please try to find out more information on how to connect this device as an External GPS and let me know if you have connected it in any Android BT GPS connector app.

Thanks, Petr

Garmin GPSMAP 64s with android 10 on Samsung Galaxy.

Test app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.pilablu.gpsconnector&hl=en_US&gl=US

Internal GPS work, External via bluetooth don't work - no visible satellites, no position.

Garmin worki with app on PC via USB

Are you able to connect the Bluetooth GPS with the Android phone using different app? Would you please try connection for example in https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.pilablu.gpsconnector app? BTW: what exact device you use, please?
Thanks, Petr

No visible satellites, no position on the map.

Another application informed: "conection failed - read failed, socket mightclosed or timeout read ret: -1"

I don't try wipe application cache:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25698585/bluetooth-connection-failed-java-io-ioexception-read-failed-socket-might-clos

@Pol Do you obtain the GPS Fix (position), please?

I am also having trouble using an external Bluetooth GPS receiver with Locus GIS. In my case the external GPS is an Garmin GPSMAP. Using Bluetooth Manager in Locus I set to 'get location from external GPS'. LocusGIS GPS screen did not show any satellites. The program does not save MNEA sentences.

Hi,
I found this old topic. I would like to ask what is the status and if you managed to connect LocusGIS with GNSS receiver?

Thanks, Petr

Please connect again the external BT GPS and record the NMAE sentences as described above:

• connect the BT device and Turn Off BT GPS on GPS/Compass screen
  • please open  Menu > Settings > GPS & Sensors > and set NMEA recording to "Always"
  • Turn on BT GPS on GPS/Compass screen and keep it turned on for couple minutes (ideally outside or near window)
  • use arbitrary bile manager and go to the /LocusGIS/data/nmea and send us the latest nmea message file
  • finally open again the Menu > Settings > GPS & Sensors > and disable NMEA recording

We'll check the NMEA file and we try to find out the reason of mentioned issue.

Anyway, it seems that you can use SXBlue Toolbox as Mock location provider. Please disconnect BT GPS in LocusGIS and use standard system GPS in Locus GIS. Please use SXBlue Toolbox and connect to external BT GPS. After that set SXBLue Toolbox as Mock Location app in Android system settings. Please see https://www.virtuallocation.com/fake-location/allow-mock-locations.html

When enabled the SXBlue should send the accurate coordinates to Android system and can be used by LocusGIS

Thanks, Petr

I am also having trouble using an external Bluetooth GPS receiver with Locus GIS.  In my case the external GPS is an SXBlue II GNSS.  Using Bluetooth Manager in Locus I set to 'get location from external GPS' and easily connect to the SXBlue - Locus indicates the connected device and the SXBlue Bluetooth connection indicator goes solid on - but GPS / Compass screen never updates with new position or accuracy - weirdly though the number of satellites in fix | satellites visible does update.  I have also tried using mock location providers including the manufacturers SXBlue Toolbox and the generic Bluetooth GPS app (GG MobLab).  If running, either of these apps grab the Bluetooth connection away from Locus if it had been connected to the GPS receiver with Bluetooth Manager and neither of these apps provide a data stream to Locus either.  Phone internal GPS works to provide locations to Locus but the external  GPS should be capable of much higher accuracy if it could be utilized. Is there anyone else on the forum successfully using SXBlue equipment with Locus GIS that can provide any help on this?  Thanks -

My colleague  Martinus and I have found out that Trimble R2 can work with Trimble's GNSS Status as mock location app.
Emlid RS+ can be used while using Lefebure NTRIP client as mock location app.

Hi,

honestly we have no experience with these devices but I'd ask you for following:

• please open  Menu > Settings > GPS & Sensors > and set NMEA recording to "Always"
  • try to connect the bluetooth antenna and wait until connection is lost or poor
  • use arbitrary bile manager and go to the /LocusGIS/data/nmea and send us the latest nmean message file
  • finally open again the Menu > Settings > GPS & Sensors > and disable NMEA recording
  • we'll check the NMEA file and we try to find out the reason of mentioned issue.

Anyway, I'd suggest to use Trimble Mobile Manager for connections between Android device and the external Trimble antena. Trimble Mobile Manager offer possibility to use Mobile Manager app as mock-up location provider. If you enable it in Android settings every app and also LocusGIS can consume the precise coordinates provided by Trimble Mobile Manager app. 

I quickly tested the Emlid Android app and it seems that it's not possible to use it as mock-up location provider.

Feel free to contact me if you need more info about mock-up provider and how to set it. 

Regards

Petr

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment