The vector data layer is the basic element for data collection or for data presentation in the field. The data layer defines features and their metadata. In the beginning, you need to decide if you want to map points, lines or polygons (area)
- Open current project
- tap on green PLUS button
- select New empty layer
Basic layer settings
On the Basic tab the new layer dialog is set:
- Name of layer (1)
- Encoding (2) - we suggest using default UTF-8. (It defines the encoding of SpatiaLite DB that is used for storing the data)
- Type (3) - an important parameter that defines the type of geometry that can be collected with this layer. Only points can be collected for the "Point" layer, lines for Line type and areas for Polygon type. It's not possible to change the type of geometry when a layer is created.
- Coordinate reference system (4) - spatial reference system (SRS) to store data. You can change it and search for alternative SRS by name or by EPSG code
Attributes - form definition
On the tab of attributes, fields (form) for the collected data can be defined or edited. At least one attribute has to be defined. To add a new attribute, tap on greenPLUS button > define the name of attribute and type of the attribute
- Text data - simple un-formatted text
- Integer - a whole number
- Decimal number - a real number
- Date - date and time - by default, the current date is set but can be changed
- Yes/No - useful for logical attribute
- Enumeration - it enables to set predefined values and to select a value from a drop-down list during data collection.
- Tap on to edit values
- Last used - You can also select default value that's automatically set during data collection. The default value is the last used option.
- Automatic numbering - custom 'integer' column. Its value is automatically increased when a new feature is created.
Every attribute can be signed as required. The value for such fields has to be defined else it is not possible to create a new feature.